Saturday, June 28, 2008

Padre Rumi---sacred rock in the paramo






Hi Folks. I'm trying this post for a second time from Ambato as yesterday the electricity went off in Riobamba and my work was for naught. Thought I'd post a few more pics of Padre Rumi, the sacred rock that Lucy and I hiked to (at around 13,000 feet)a couple of hours from our house. Juan and his son Oscar were our guides. As you can see from the photos, this rock is a very strange phenomenon sitting 4 stories tall on the fairly level top of the grass-covered mountains. My favorite of this series is the couple working their steep field with azodones. The women appears to have a baby on her back which is very common here. In this indigenous culture, men and women appear to share equally in physical work as their strength allows. Believe me. These women are strong! Lucy insisted I put up a photo that includes myself, so there's one of the ol' geezer showing off the drip irrigation system I installed just before it started raining almost non-stop. That's all for today. Love to all.
Craig

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Craig and Lucy

Hello, hello hello

I was so glad to get the Farmer to Farmer with the story on you so I knew where/how to keep in touch. I tried sending a note to one of your emails in WI.

The place that I am living is in a casita of a friend of mine outside of Santa Fe and we both love all the standing stones around the world that to see this on of Padre Rumi was really great! I showed Anariya all your pics. You'll have to spend some time up there and pick up on the energy of it.

The village you are in/near looks so clean and well kept. And the landscape is really beautiful. Is Kichwa a language similar to anything? How is it to pick up on?

I'm so glad to see the blog.

Blessings and be well
Kathy

C Cornell said...

Hello. While searching for information about Llin Llin in Ecuador I came acroos your page. We sponsor a 10 year old in the village. The area seems beutiful from your pictures. You said the people seemed happy. Just wondering if you see good work being done by the organizations such as Compassion in the area We wish you well in your work. Take care and be safe. Chester and Millie. milskp@aol.com