Thursday, May 1, 2008

First Week On Site

May 1st
Lucy and I are in Riobamba doing some shopping and staying in a hostel where we have a comfortable bed and hot shower. Our fears about the difficulty of life at our site were realized staying there for the first week. San Bernardo is at an elevation of 10,700 feet and our other site, Sasapud is at (por lo menos) 11,000 feet. It is cold and rainy and we have to trudge up and down muddy paths every time we leave our room. Our room is cold and damp---too cold to sit and read. We do warm up in bed with three heavy wool blankets on us. We eat in a primitive outside kitchen where the family likes to cook with a wood fire which is very smoky. The smoke seems to have aggravated a cold I had so I am now hacking and coughing continously. We had headaches at first due to the altitude but those have stopped. We have no cell phone coverage unless we hike up the hill 20 minutes.
That's the bad news.....the good is that the people are wonderful. They seem to take all the adversity in stride. They are always smiling and laughing and carry themselves with dignity. They remind me a lot of the Mayans in Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala. While some do speak Spanish, they prefer to speak Kichwa which means Lucy and I need to learn much more. Poco a poco. Last Sunday we attended one of the many evangelical Christian churches in the area. We were introduced up front and then shook hands with the over one hundred people in attendance. Unlike service in the U.S., the sermon was short with many different group singing their hymns in Kichwa (two hours total). We were warned not to be to open about our religious persuasion (Buddhism) as they would probably shun us. We decided to be honest about who we are, emphasizing we are from a Christian background of course! Turns out that people have been very accepting of us, even though one of the first questions they ask is if we are ¨evangelicos¨. I think being an older married couple is a big plus. We went up to Sasapud a couple of days ago and were introduced in a big meeting of about 60 people. People seem freindly and genuinely interested in us.
So now we are trying to change our housing situation. We are hoping to rent a two room place that get more sun where we can cook with gas. We are looking at spending good money on a mattress that won´t leave us with a backache. We haven´t decided on a refrigerator, partly because they are almost nonexistent in San Bernardo, and partly because it is so coool we are not sure we need one.
I confess to getting a little excited about all the dairy activity in our region. There are cows grazing everywhere, along with sheep, burros, and pigs. There are many small cheese factories. I'm already thinking of ways they might improve their dairy-centered agriculture. One big problem is there is no rain in the summer and all the abundant pastures dry up. Some sort of way to store silage would make sense. Of course they have very little money (if any) to invest. There's too much rain to think about drying hay. The climate is perfect for small grains with lots of barley and oats being grown. Alfalfa does well here too. Rotational grazing would definitely enhance their milk production as well as help to prevent soil erosion which is a tremendous problem. So much to do, it´s hard to know where to start.
First we are just going to get to know our two communities....sorry no pics this time but we´ll put some more on soon so you can see that despite the poverty, it is very scenic where we are. Thanks to those who have commented here on the blog. As I sit here there is a big parade going by with lots of drums and civic groups chanting slogans....never a shortage of animo here in Ecuador....My you be happy and peaceful.......
Craig

2 comments:

Middle East Pathfinder said...

Hi loved ones!
It' great to read your blog and hear from you! The pictures come through perfectly, also. We feel for you with the tough living conditions you are in, but I guess it is an adventure. Too bad you aren't mid twenties instead of mid fifties. Well, it's too bad for us two also, with all we have going on. Actually, I'm not sure I would want to be in my mid twenties nowadays. Things seem to be getting harder all the time, just to make a living.
We are still very busy. Cindy's library liscensure courses continue to be very demanding. She doesn't do much of anything that isn't necessary besides teaching and her class. She has a week and a half left (of the ckass) and that will be nice to be done with. It's not happening any too soon as it is time to be out in the yard and flower beds. It has been a cold spring so far and maybe that's good so she doesn't feel so pinched to be outside working. I too am keeping very busy. I have some side jobs I am working on with more to come. Our roofing project is almost done. It turned out to be a lot more work than expected because we had to make some alterations which is involving some residing and soffit work, both of which are slow and tedious in this instance. I was fortunate to have Louis help me two days when he was home on break. The real estate work I'm involved with is pretty busy right now, too. This doesn't mean many properties are being sold, just that it is keeping me busy. By the way, I have a client who is planning to put an offer in on Sue Arndt's land. They are asking $425K which is very high. It looks like my employment at West Cap will probably end in July. This brings up a lot of questions about my future; how much will I be involved in real estate and how much construction work will I do? The future is something I now very little about, so I am happy with my life as it is today.
The weddings of course are looming and we haven't really gotten busy with any of the preparations for them. I guess we will soon. I asked Erin to sing a song with me for Julie's, "GiveYouself to Love," and she said yes. Chris and I are also going to do "Love Remains." Allie will be baptized by Gary right after the wedding ceremony, too. That little kid is almost 7 mo. and she is just doing great! She is so much fun and is very sociable and happy. Our grand kids are really a joy.
I apologize for not writing to you sooner. It seems like you haven't been gone long; it probably seems longer to you. Take care of yourselves and remember to act your age. Much love. Lee

Reb said...

Hi Craig and Lucy! We miss you.

Thanks for the great pictures. Vicunas are actually related to camels (so are alpaca and llamas).

Good luck on the house search. I hope you find something you can make more comfortable.

We have lots of birds at the birdfeeder, and bluebirds in the birdhouse Marie made at the organic farming conference. It's finally warming up--the trillium are budding, the spring beauty and hepatica are all over the place. We haven't put any seeds in the ground, though, because it's been so cold.

I'll try to link your blog to the Farmer to Farmer site. We're looking forward to reading more.

Love, Reb.